About My Experience – Curriculum Vitae/Resume
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Phone: (502) 589-6190 or (text after hours) (502)-648-1759
E-Mail: Contact Me
After earning my Juris Doctor from the University of Louisville School of Law in 1989, I was appointed an Assistant Jefferson County Attorney. I prosecuted murder cases in juvenile court, theft and drug cases in felony misdemeanor courts and warrant courts, and gained statewide recognition for prosecuting DUI cases. I created and served as the Director of the DUI Jury Trial Division in the Jefferson County Attorney’s Office and wrote the Kentucky Prosecutor’s DUI Trial Manual, “But Occifer, I only had two beers”.
In 1995, I was the only county attorney in the state to receive the Mothers Against Drunk Driving “MADD” Outstanding Public Service Award. Later that same year, Attorney General Ben Chandler honored me with the Outstanding Public Servant award on behalf of the Kentucky Prosecutors Association. The following year the Jefferson County Fraternal Order of Police recognized me as their “Prosecutor of the Year”.
In 1997, Attorney General Chandler asked me to serve as Special Counsel to the Kentucky DUI Task Force, charged with drafting the new DUI law for presentation to the 1998 Kentucky General Assembly. Later that same year, the Governor appointed me Judge in Jefferson District Court. I presided over numerous bench and jury trials. After leaving the bench, I was one of three lawyers asked to serve as a “special public defender” by the Jefferson County Public Defender’s office. In that capacity, I represented a number of indigent clients. In 2008, I was appointed by the Governor serve as a Special Justice on the Kentucky Supreme Court. Most recently, I have helped draft Kentucky’s two latest efforts to reform and update our expungement law. This year, I was one of two Kentucky defense lawyers tasked with helping moderate Kentucky ignition interlock law.
I have been representing clients in a variety of criminal and civil courts in Jefferson and surrounding counties since 1989. My practice primarily focuses on criminal law, personal injury, assault and battery, DUI, traffic offenses, theft, drug crimes, drug forfeiture, and drug trafficking and expungement. My practice primarily involves helping people charged with a crime navigate through the state’s busiest court system. Because of my unique work experience, I have been asked to serve as a seminar presenter for the police, prosecutors and defense lawyers on various topics.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury
- Kentucky, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 1990
- Louis D. Brandeis School of Law, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky
- J.D. – 1989
- University of Kentucky, 1979 – 1982, Kentucky
- Transylvania University, 1983 – 1985, Lexington, Kentucky B.S.
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: History
- Kentucky Prosecutors Association, DUI Trial Manual. How to prosecute DUI cases., Kentucky Prosecutors Advisory Council
- Kentucky DUI Defense, Kentucky DUI Defense Trial Manual, Lorman Education
- Special Counsel, Kentucky DUI Task Force, Office of the Attorney General
- iPhone and iPad Technology in the Practice of Criminal Law, Kentucky Justice Association
- Kentucky Expungement Law, Kentucky Justice Association
- Gold Standards Committee, Southeast United States, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Past Employment Positions
- Jefferson District Court, Judge
- Jefferson County, Assistant County Attorney
- Kentucky Attorney General DUI Task Force, Special Counsel